Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 9 in the books!

As an unfortunately gloomy start to our week, we must acknowledge the passing of 2 Sacramento area deputies, Deputy Danny Oliver and Det. Michael David Davis. Our city mourns the loss of two brave men who gave their lives in the line of duty. I watched the news anxiously on Friday and when they reported the death of Deputy Oliver, I was surprised at how deeply I felt the loss. I wiped tears away, thinking about the families of these men, their wives and children and it gave me chills as to how prepared a family can be for this line of work but still utterly devastated when the worst happens. It's terrifying to think about and I try not to spend time dwelling on it, as I'm already a worrier by nature.

But there is a sense of family and camaraderie that comes with being part of the law enforcement family that I felt on Friday as well. The loss of a father, a husband and a son is felt deeply within the law enforcement family too. There is comfort in knowing that their loss impacts the community as a whole, as they gave their lives in the pursuit of serving others. Their sacrifice won't go unnoticed and I hope their family feels the outpouring of love and appreciation that our community feels for them.

It was painfully accurate timing with the cadets going through their "Dangers of the Job" class on Wednesday, which R admitted shook him up a bit. He came home that Wednesday a little somber and reserved, as I imagined that class stuck with him a bit. While I doubt the slides in that class were pleasant, it serves as a good reminder to the cadets that complacency is dangerous in their line of work. It drives home the fact that everything they learn in the academy is meant to prepare them to their best ability. I remember back to the initial Valley division orientation, feeling so overwhelmed with the new changes to come in our lives, but realizing that R leaving home and living at the academy was ultimately necessary for the training that will keep him alive on the job. The struggles we have, every time I push him our the door on Sunday nights, it's all meant to prepare him for the line of work he's chosen. When I remember that, it makes our goodbyes less sorrowful and more purposeful.

I admit this post has gotten a bit heavy, even for me so let's end on a few good notes. R has been evading "gigs" and bad attention so that's a positive. He's also been passing all his tests! They were issued their vests and this week they are likely to start wearing their long sleeved blues which include the tie and tie bar. It's likely he'll test for some driving test this week (I apologize I don't remember the full title but it's a form of advanced vehicle placement) and he's excited for that. He's looking unbelievably good and still dropping weight. We were listening to a song we remembered from high school and as I looked at him, I was struck with how much he looked like he did 10 years ago, when we first met. Now if only I could get back to that time too! Haha.

Lastly, we just want to say Thank You to anyone reading this blog, it means the world to us knowing R has supporters on this journey. We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment