Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 8 of 186 (Week 2)

I felt a little guilty we had the day off yesterday (Labor day) while R had his first day back at the academy. I thought of him especially in the morning since they had PT at 445.

I spent most of the day lounging around at home in Elk Grove with my family.

I heard from R around 2024 and he sounded somewhat upset. Turns out one of the shirts we did on Sunday was incorrect (an honest mistake, one detail of the shirt was wrong). He received his first penalty and was pretty disappointed. I reassured him that we would learn from our mistakes (we'll check in more often with the other cadets) and that mistakes are bound to happen. Besides learning from it, the only thing he can really do is to continue to commit 100% to this process. Tomorrow is another chance to prove to himself and do his best.


R is the type of guy who hates disappointing others. He doesn't mind the "in your face" nature of the academy but disappointment is harder for him. I made sure to let him know that although he made a mistake, it shouldn't change his passion for this job and more importantly, it doesn't effect how much his family, friends or I support him. This is just an inconvenient speed bump in his long and successful run at the academy. Tomorrow will be better.

He sounded more confident after our conversation and I'm praying he has an easier day tomorrow. Feel free to send him encouraging texts to keep his spirits up!

Monday down, 1 more day closer to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment