Sunday, August 24, 2014

Family Orientation

So today was the family orientation for CTC III-14 and it was very informative.

While we had gotten almost all the same info from the Valley Division orientation last week, it made it feel so real, seeing all the cadets in their suits and shaved heads.


The most helpful thing for me was listening to Mrs. Frances Siria, the wife of Sgt. Scott Siria. She spoke about the families' experiences with the academy and life afterwards. She reiterated points I'd read from previous CHP wives blogs, that our responsibility as a cadet's family and friends is to give them encouragement and motivation to keep going on the days they feel like quitting. When R calls me and even mentions coming home for good (before the 27 weeks are up), I know I'm going to do everything in my power to get him to stay there. Even though that small voice inside of me will want to comfort him, tell him to come home, back to our "regular" lives, I know that the choice he made to become a CHP officer is bigger than us. It's a calling for him, to serve others and as his wife, I can't wait to support him in that. He's going to make an incredible officer. 

It wouldn't be an honest blog if I didn't say how much I'll miss him. We're one of those couples that spend very little time apart. We also made the really fun decision of getting a 3 month old puppy before the academy (insert head shaking here) which was insane. But this experience will strengthen us individually, which will strengthen us a couple too. I'm trying to look forward to each day as a new challenge, learning how to live without R around and keep the fort down here at home so he has a warm, inviting place to return to. And it is doable. I got this. So he can do his thing. 

I have another post ready for tomorrow on how we can best support R in the coming months, stay tuned family and friends!

BEST OF LUCK to R and the rest of CTC III-14 tomorrow as they start the long but fulfilling road to those badges! 

Sincerely,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment